AAA Accessibility

What is Mutual Exchange?

A mutual exchange is way for social housing residents to find a move by swapping homes with another social housing resident. People move for many reasons, maybe your current home is too large or too small or perhaps you want a change of scene.
You can swap homes with any council tenant or Housing Association tenant in the UK providing you and they have the right to mutual exchange and both parties wish to swap.

Swap locally or to another part of the country

The principle can work between any locations or even all in the same street! You are not restricted to your current landlord; all social housing landlords are required to allow mutual exchanges. The key is to ensure that everyone has looked around the properties involved and is happy to move.

Swaps can involve more than one property

You can either home swap with one tenant, known as a direct exchange or you could try and find a multi way house exchange. There is no limit to how many people you can have in your home swap chain, however the more people in the home swap, the more complicated it can get and there is always the chance that someone in the chain could change their mind.
However, multi way mutual exchanges are becoming increasingly popular as they give you more ways of getting into the property you want. So don't just dismiss them because you think they are more troublesome!

Mutual Exchanhe Multi Swap


Privacy | Terms | Accessibility

House Exchange is a joint initiative between Clarion Housing Group and 101Smart Ltd.

Clarion Housing Group Limited is a charitable registered society (Reg No 28038R). Registered with the Regulator for Social Housing (Reg No LH4087) VAT No (675 646 394). Registered office: Level 6, 6 More London Place, Tooley Street, London SE1 2DA.

101 Smart Ltd is a registered limited company in England (Reg No 5294196). Registered office: Unit 15 Beech Avenue, Taverham, Norfolk NR8 6HW.